How to Create Garage Storage Envy
Whatever your aspirations, nobody wants their garage to be a mess. You can have a sleek showroom for your very hot wheels, a combo workshop/garage storage space, a potting shed, a tool room or even the ultimate man cave, but with a little planning your garage can be useful and the envy of all your neighbors.
- First, let’s cull. There are lots of things in your garage that you don’t need. You didn’t even need some of them when you bought them, but we all do that. Let’s get rid of the obvious stuff. Recycle that 5 year old paint, it’s no good anymore anyway. Lose that old sports equipment that is way past its prime (not your prime, the equipment’s prime), trash those useless items that take up space and collect dust...let’s be realistic here and you are well on your way to a cool garage.
- Donate, donate, donate! Just because you can’t use it doesn’t mean somebody can’t use it. Haven’t mowed your lawn in years? Somebody can use that lawnmower. You don’t need 4 snow shovels taking up garage storage, and your golf clubs from 1984 just might make some kid’s day. Go ahead, let it go...it’s good for your psyche as well as your space.
- Divide and Conquer. Separate your stuff by category. Power tools with power tools. Gardening stuff with gardening stuff. You get it. This rule should apply to everything. It makes it easier to organize, easier to find things when you need them and your things will disappear less often. Remember our credo: A place for everything and everything in its place.
- Look heavenward. There is space in your garage that is not being used. There are all kinds of specialty racks and garage storage units that can be attached to the ceiling and that can easily be lowered when you need something and pulled back up to the ceiling when you are through with it until next year (Christmas Decorations for example?). There are bicycle racks, storage boxes, platforms...all incredibly useful for storing stuff you don’t need to get to every day.
- Lock it up! Safety is even closer to Godliness than cleanliness. Potentially dangerous chemicals such as paint thinner, fertilizer or gasoline should be stored in a locked cabinet to keep curious children and pets out of harm’s way. Don’t forget to ventilate those spaces! Also, power tools, saws, anything sharp should be locked up or stored on high shelves to keep potential accidents at bay. Kids need to be protected from themselves … adults too sometimes.
- Clean up the floor. You can clean up the existing concrete floor with all kinds of new and effective eco-friendly concrete cleaners that use microbe or enzymes to get rid of oil stains and the like. Better yet cover the floor with either an epoxy system or the amazingly cool floor tile systems made specifically for garages. Your garage can look like a NASCAR workshop! A clean floor makes a world of difference in the look and feel of the entire garage.
- Organize! There are great cabinet and shelf garage storage systems available to help turn your garage into a multi-purpose masterpiece. How about a work bench with tool storage and lighting and a clean top for “projects”. Into gardening? How about a potting bench or s bonsai work shop? A sports fanatic, a rack, shelf, basket or hook for every single piece of sports paraphernalia in your vast collection? A golfer? How about a storage rack to protect your valuable clubs as well as a place for shoes, accessories and all those putters that just don’t work anymore...you know, the ones you didn’t get rid of as per section one.
An added benefit to your garage storage transformation is that if everything is stowed away where it belongs, the likelihood of damage to your cars from falling stuff is lessened significantly. Just a thought.